Traditional student events
A key component in student festivities is an event called kravall, where the dresscode is a student overall. Many of these kravaller has become a long-running tradition amongst students here at LiU, such as:
- Dra´t i spa´t – unofficially called Draget, where student teams from all over the country participate in a tug-of-war over the Tinnerbäcken creek.
- Lemans – originally a go-cart competition, now replaced by races on human-powered vehicles.
- Intervallen – the international kravall with bars representing different countries, hosted by ESN Linköping. The ESN student overalls are blue with yellow stripes. Click the link for a useful overall guide!
- Pallen – a test of skill, strength and endurance, in recent years by means of a paintball competition, where the first prize is a load of beer.
- Valla Sucer Rennen – sledging down the Valla slope in self-made sleds.
- Snuttekravallen – where festivities revolve around short student movies made by students.
- DömD – a darts competition and a big party.
- Studentorkesterfestivalen (SOF) – a festival arranged every other year in Linköping/Norrköping since 1973 with student orchestras and student bands from all the Nordic countries,
- … and many more.
There are about 100 student associations at Linköping University, based on a wide variety of interests such as: music/choirs, sports, religion, academic topics and others you canjoin as an (active) member.
International student associations
- Erasmus Student Network (ESN) organises activities for all international students at LiU, such as parties, dinners, sport tournaments and various outings and trips.
- International Student Association (ISA) arranges social and cultural activities for international students, for instance the annual International Day.
- Association for International Visitors (AIV) arranges introductions to Swedish families, cultural programmes and trips.
There are several student pubs with regular opening hours, including Herrgår’n, Flamman, Villevalla and Nationernas Hus in Linköping, Trappan and Vattentornet in Norrköping, as well as Pub Örat on the University Hospital Campus. The student union building Kårallen arranges a number of student parties and pub nights. Herrgår’n also arranges an international pub night on some tuesdays, which is very popular with the international students.
Student Union Houses in Linköping
- Ryds herrgård/[hg] - Very strategically located, right in the centre of the Ryd student area is [hg].
- Kårallen - The union house right on Valla campus. Lots of kravaller (parties with overalls) and pubs like Torsdagskröken and Fredagspuben are arranged here.
- Kollektivet - At Ågatan in the centre of Linköping.
- Flamman Pub & Disco - Linköping's oldes student pub, located in Gottfridsberg.
- VilleValla Pub - Student pub located in Valla.
Student Union House in Norrköping
- Kårhuset Trappan - The place for your social life in Norrköping.
- Pub Vattentornet - Student pub located in one of Sweden's oldest water towers.
Students in Linköping can join the Students’ Sport and Athletics Club at campus Valla (LSIF). Students in Norrköping can join the Academic sports club at campus Norrköping (Naffi).
Both cities also have numerous gyms and sports centres, which usually offer student discounts. There are also indoor swimming pools in central Linköping and Norrköping.