At LiU, Similarity Check is primarily used for checking dissertations and articles ahead of publication. Similarity Check will search:
- Over 200 million scholarly articles, books, book chapters, and more
- Over 700 million web pages
- CrossRef’s database of scholarly articles
The following are not covered by Similarity Check:
- Images embedded in documents
- Advanced mathematical formulas and symbols created in LaTex, Word etc.
- Computer programs
- Research data that is used as a basis for the publication
- Texts translated into another language
Plagiarism check of dissertations is done on a voluntary basis, either prior to the defence or before the dissertation goes to print. Manuscripts for articles can also be checked at the request of the author. The check is carried out by the library.