About Junior Faculty
January 2007 the LiU-Junior Faculty started as a university-wide network for young researchers and teachers. LiU-Junior Faculty is an arena for researchers that hold a doctoral degree and aim for docentship or docents without permanent tenure. This network aims at representing and supporting junior postdoctoral researchers in their career, to assist the university in strengthening the competence of junior researchers and to reinforce the expansion of research. The LiU-Junior Faculty Club intends to create an intellectually stimulating arena helping to assist junior researchers in career-development and provide an interdisciplinary and university-wide network contributing to strengthening their independent identity as researchers.
Our most visible activity is the seminar series Junior Faculty Club, which typically takes place one Thursday afternoon per month, with seminars and workshops that are relevant to the skill development and career strategy of junior researchers.
Aims for LiU-Junior Faculty
- to promote the future faculty and research within LiU
- to strengthen the position of research at LiU - both nationally and internationally
- to create a network for interdisciplinary co-operation between researchers
- to observe the position of LiU in national and international co-operation between Junior Faculties at other universities
- to provide a platform for career support and intellectual exchange via workshops, seminars, mentorship
- to promote a transparent tenure track system for researchers at LiU
Our definition of a Junior Faculty member
- a junior researcher, who holds a PhD degree and carries on active research at LiU, but is not yet established as an independent researcher with their own research group.
We also welcome Ph.D. students, in particular in the last year before the dissertation, as members and to our seminar series, but to get actively involved with the questions that we are working with, personal experience of post-doctoral academic work is valuable.
Junior Faculty Organization
In LiU-Junior Faculty, it is possible to get actively involved in working towards the aims outlined above. There are three instances in which one can get involved:
- Faculty-specific work groups - Here we work with questions and activities that are specific to the junior researchers of the faculties of LiU.
- Reference group - Here we work with university wide questions and interdisciplinary activities.
- Junior Faculty Office - This is where our administrative work is performed.
Junior Faculty Office
Coordination of the network, information and activities, administrators & board members.
The JF board officers as of 2019 are:
David Poxson (TekFak)
Biplab Paul (TekFak)
Stephanie Heil (MedFak)
If you have questions that are faculty-specific, you can directly contact your representative in the board of Junior Faculty, or send an email to: email@example.com.
Junior Faculty Advisory Board
Advisory board at each faculty
Faculty of Health Sciences: Colm Nestor, Stéphanie Da Silva
Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Faculty of Educational Sciences: Carine Signoret, Rachel Ellis, Josefine Andin
Faculty of Technology: David Poxson, Biplab Paul
Plan of operations
Verksamhetsplan LiU-JF 2011.pdf (Plan of operations)
Junior Faculty Career Day
April 3rd, 9:00-16:00
Hugo Theorell, Campus US Hospital
This annual seminar will feature a series of talks from successful early career academics focused on overcoming challenges in the modern academic environment. Additionally, practical information on the services provided by several LiU organizations, including SULF, the International Office, and the Grants Office.
Fika and lunch at Ekoxen Hotel will be provided, and attendance is free.
For registration and information please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your diet restrictions
Last updated: Mon Mar 18 14:36:43 CET 2019