Main field of studyCommercial Law
Course typeProgramme course
ExaminerBritta Behrendt Jonsson
Course coordinatorBritta Behrendt Jonsson
Director of studies or equivalentChristina Nordin
|Course offered for||Semester||Weeks||Language||Campus||VOF|
|F7MAE||Master´s Programme in Commercial and Business Law with focus on Europé||3 (Autumn 2019)||v201939-201943||Swedish||Linköping||v|
|F7MAJ||Master Programme in Commercial and Business Law||3 (Autumn 2019)||v201939-201943||Swedish||Linköping||v|
Main field of studyCommercial Law
Course levelSecond cycle
Course offered for
- Master´s Programme in Commercial and Business Law with focus on Europé
- Master Programme in Commercial and Business Law
Required for admission to the course, apart from the general entry requirements, are the entry requirements that apply for admission to the Commercial and Business Law Programme and the Commercial and Business Law Programme with Focus on Europe. In addition, the student should have completed the following courses (or the equivalent); Commercial and Business Law, Theories and Methods of Law and Contract, Tort and Insurance Law, and completed Bachelor Thesis, 15 HE credits, with a passing grade.
Intended learning outcomes
On completion of the course, the student should be able to
- demonstrate knowledge of the purposes of company insurance and the design of the conditions for company insurance,
- explain the insurance contract law,
- account for the relationship between commercial agreements and insurances and between insurance - and the law of damages,
- identify problems in insurance law,
- identify, analyse and structure problems in insurance law with the purpose of clarifying them in detail for own use and for others,
- based on regulations and principles of insurance law and contract law, argue for and against different legal solutions to the problems that have been identified and clarified,
- reflect on problems in insurance law from different perspectives,
- independently and with a scholarly approach, relate to the different aspects that emerge when problems in insurance law are discussed.
This course comprises studies of insurance laws, the insurance contract, general insurance law principles, principles of damage assessment and indemnification, evidentiary requirements as well as the role of the insurance broker. The interplay between insurance and law of damages, and between insurance and the company's supply contracts are studied.
The course also covers the different parts of company insurance, including property insurance, business interruption insurance, liability insurance, property insurance and insurance of construction and installation risks. This part emphasises what the insured interests are and what claims the insurance intends. The course finally covers the function and suitability of the company insurance.
Teaching and working methods
The course is organised as a seminar series, which means that it is based on independent studies of preparatory work, legal cases, doctrine and standard-form contracts and insurance terms. The studies are intended to prepare for participation in the seminars. In the seminars, the knowledge acquired through independent studies should be strengthened, developed and advanced through reviews and discussions.
The course is examined through active participation in the seminar series and through independent written assignments.
Students failing an exam covering either the entire course or part of the course twice are entitled to have a new examiner appointed for the reexamination.
Students who have passed an examination may not retake it in order to improve their grades.
GradesThree-grade scale, U, G, VG
Planning and implementation of a course must take its starting point in the wording of the syllabus. The course evaluation included in each course must therefore take up the question how well the course agrees with the syllabus.
The course is carried out in such a way that both men´s and women´s experience and knowledge is made visible and developed.
DepartmentInstitutionen för ekonomisk och industriell utveckling
|0500||PM||U, G||2 credits|
|0400||Seminar||U, G||1.5 credits|
|0300||Examination||U, G, VG||4 credits|