Main field of studyMathematics Applied Mathematics
Course typeProgramme course
Director of studies or equivalentGeorge Baravdish
|Course offered for||Semester||Period||Timetable module||Language||Campus||VOF|
|6CIEN||Electronics Design Engineering, M Sc in Engineering||2 (Spring 2017)||2||2||Swedish||Norrköping||o|
|6CKTS||Communications, Transport and Infrastructure, M Sc in Engineering||2 (Spring 2017)||2||2||Swedish||Norrköping||o|
|6CMEN||Media Technology and Engineering, M Sc in Engineering||2 (Spring 2017)||2||2||Swedish||Norrköping||o|
Main field of studyMathematics, Applied Mathematics
Course levelFirst cycle
Course offered for
- Electronics Design Engineering, M Sc in Engineering
- Communications, Transport and Infrastructure, M Sc in Engineering
- Media Technology and Engineering, M Sc in Engineering
Note: Admission requirements for non-programme students usually also include admission requirements for the programme and threshold requirements for progression within the programme, or corresponding.
Intended learning outcomes
To give basic proficiency in mathematical concepts, reasoning and relations contained in single-variable calculus. To provide the skills in calculus and problem solving required for subsequent studies. After a completed course, the student should be able to
- read and interpret mathematical text
- explain Taylors formula and the concepts series, power series and convergence of series.
- make comparisons metween sums and integrals
- use expressions for, and calculate, geometrical quantities such as plane areas, arc length, surface area, volumes of solids of revolution and areas of surfaces of revolution
- utilize ordinary differential equations (linear of first order: linear and separable and linear equations of higher order with constant coefficients, serie solutions) and integral equations
- use Taylors Theorem in approximating functions with polynomial, calculating limits and estimation errors and estimate local properties of functions.
- carry out convergence tests for improper integrals, series and power series and find derivatives and antiderivatives for power series
- carry out inspections of results and partial results, in order to verify that these are correct or reasonable.
Applications of integrals - Improper integrals: definition and calculations, area, length of curves, volume of solids of revolution, area of surfaces of revolution. Generalised integrals. Estimation of sums. The formulas of Taylor and Maclaurin. The Maclaurin expansion of elementary functions. Applications, e.g. estimation of errors and finding limits. Ordinary differential equations. Equations of the first order: linear and separable equations. Integral equations. Linear equations of higher order with constant coefficients. Serie solutions. Applications will be given of mathematical models from various fields. Series.
Teaching and working methods
Lectures and problem classes.
|TEN1||Written exam||U, 3, 4, 5||6 credits|
GradesFour-grade scale, LiU, U, 3, 4, 5
DepartmentInstitutionen för teknik och naturvetenskap
Director of Studies or equivalentGeorge Baravdish
Course website and other linkshttp://www2.itn.liu.se/utbildning/kurs/
Education componentsPreliminary scheduled hours: 70 h
Recommended self-study hours: 90 h
Course literatureForsling, G. och Neymark, N.: Matematisk analys, en variabel. Liber. Problemsamling och kompletterande material utgivet av matematiska institutionen.
|TEN1||Written exam||U, 3, 4, 5||6 credits|
Regulations (apply to LiU in its entirety)
The university is a government agency whose operations are regulated by legislation and ordinances, which include the Higher Education Act and the Higher Education Ordinance. In addition to legislation and ordinances, operations are subject to several policy documents. The Linköping University rule book collects currently valid decisions of a regulatory nature taken by the university board, the vice-chancellor and faculty/department boards.
LiU’s rule book for education at first-cycle and second-cycle levels is available at http://styrdokument.liu.se/Regelsamling/Innehall/Utbildning_pa_grund-_och_avancerad_niva.
This tab contains public material from the course room in Lisam. The information published here is not legally binding, such material can be found under the other tabs on this page. There are no files available for this course.