REIMAGINEERING THE NATION: ESSAYS ON 21ST CENTURY SWEDEN
Edited by Aleksandra Ålund, Carl-Ulrik Schierup and Anders Neergaard
Peter Lang International Publisher, 2017
Sweden has long been regarded as exemplary in terms of social welfare, equality and an inclusive multicultural democracy. This book presents a multidisciplinary exposition on Sweden, from a wider European perspective. It addresses changing frameworks of citizenship, welfare and democracy, migration and asylum, urban segregation, labour market segmentation and processes of securitization. Its 14 chapters illuminate, from different perspectives, intersecting dimensions of class, gender and racialization and juxtaposes xenophobic populism with new social justice and antiracist movements on a changing political stage. Addressing a growing alignment with retrogressive illiberal policies across Europe, the volume exposes the reach of the adverse direction in which European “integration” is currently heading.
1. Carl-Ulrik Schierup, Aleksandra Ålund & Anders Neergaard, Reimagineering the Nation: Crisis and Social Transformation in 21st Century Sweden
PART I: THE WELFARE STATE IN CRISIS. TOO DIVERSE OR TOO AUSTERE?
2. Carl-Ulrik Schierup & Simone Scarpa, How the Swedish Model Was (Almost) Lost. Migration, Welfare and Politics of Solidarity
3. Anders Neergaard, The Swedish Model in Transition: Trade Unions and Racialised Workers
4. Diana Mulinari & Åsa Lundqvist, Invisible, Burdensome and Threatening: The Location of Migrant Women in the Swedish Welfare State
PART II: NEOLIBERAL REIMAGINEERING
5. Viktor Vesterberg, Rationalities of Exclusionary Inclusion: Constructing Others while Combating Social Exclusion
6. Anna Gavanas, Swedish Retirement Migrants and Domestic Services in Spain: Informalisation and Moral Economy in Reimagining Sweden
7. Magnus Dahlstedt & Anders Trumberg, Towards a New Education Regime: The Neoliberal Turn in Swedish Education Policy
8. Magnus Dahlstedt & Vanja Lozić, Problematizing Parents: Representations of Multi-Ethnic Areas, Youth and Urban Unrest,
9. Randi Elin Gressgård, Welfare Policing and the Safety–Security Nexus in Urban Governance: The Expanded Cohesion Agenda in Malmö
PART III: REIMAGINING COMMUNITY
10. Diana Mulinari & Anders Neergaard, From Racial to Racist State? The Sweden Democrats Reimagining the Nation
11. Paula Mulinari, Workplaces on the Move: Professional Mobilization against the Extreme Right
12. Nedžad Mešić, Framing Solidarity in the Unionisation of Undocumented Migrant Workers
13. Carl-Ulrik Schierup, Aleksandra Ålund & Lisa Kings, Reading the Stockholm Riots: A Moment for Social Justice?
14. René León Rosales & Aleksandra Ålund, Renaissance from the Margins: Urban Youth Activism in Sweden
See more on Publishers web page