The organisation of Linköping University (LiU) differs from the typical organisational model used at most European universities. At LiU there are multidisciplinary departments, reporting directly to the vice-chancellor and covering several adjacent academic disciplines, with the aim of facilitating contact across boundaries.
University boardThe university board is the highest decision-making body at the university. It is responsible to the government for ensuring that Linköping University meets its objectives. The board takes decisions regarding budget, annual report, LiU's organisation, etc.
Lena Sommestad, governor of Halland County in Sweden, is chair of the board, which also includes representatives of the general public (companies, organisations, etc.) and operations (academic staff and students).
Vice-chancellor and university managementThe vice-chancellor is the university’s top executive official, appointed by the government to lead operations at LiU. Helen Dannetun, professor of physics, has been vice-chancellor of Linköping University since 2011. The university management also includes deputy vice-chancellors of education, research and external relations. Their role is to act on behalf of the vice-chancellor on various occasions. The university director, whose responsibilities include staff and administration, is also part of the university management.
Internal auditThe internal audit reports directly to the university board. Its role is to review the university’s governance and accounts and suggest improvements.
FacultiesLinköping University has four faculties: the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Faculty of Educational Sciences, the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences and the Faculty of Science and Engineering (sometimes known as the Institute of Technology). Formally, educational sciences is an “area”, but in most cases it functions as a faculty. In some ceremonial contexts, LiU is considered to have three faculties, with educational sciences falling under arts and sciences. The faculty is responsible for education and research within its area and at LiU it commissions services from the departments. It is run by a faculty board and its top executive official is the dean.
The actual education and research is conducted at the departments. LiU’s organisation differs from the typical organisational model used at most European universities. LiU has large multidisciplinary departments that incorporate several adjacent disciplines, with the aim of facilitating contact across disciplinary boundaries. For example the Department of Management and Engineering encompasses fields such as economics, business administration and business law, as well as industrial economics, solid mechanics and logistics. There are 14 multidisciplinary departments at Linköping University.
The departments report directly to the vice-chancellor, not to the faculties which is the case at many other universities. A department can be commissioned to conduct education and research by different faculties.
The department is run by a board. The head of department is its top executive official.
Thematic studies, institutes and centres
Some research at LiU is not organised within the framework of traditional disciplines, but in thematic studies units, institutes and centres. Thematic studies units are formed around a multidisciplinary field, such as child studies or environmental change, and gather researchers from several disciplines. An institute is also built around a field of research, but the area studied in an institute is significantly narrower than that studied in a thematic studies unit. A centre is established for a shorter period than an institute or thematic studies unit. A major part of the financing for a centre often comes from other sources than LiU.
University library and university servicesThe university library and university services support LiU’s core business: education and research. The library offers extensive collections and information services via four libraries, one on each campus. The university library is also home to an electronic publishing service, Linköping University Electronic Press. University services is headed by the university director and handles central services within finance, IT, human resources, press contacts, educational information, etc.
Linköpings universitet Holding AB, LiU Holding, is owned by the university. It helps to make new research accessible by bringing it to market. LiU Holding runs the enterprises LiU Innovation, LiU Relation, Spetsa, Unitalent and Lead.
More about the university board
Find organisational units
- University Management (1)
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences (1)
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences (6)
- Faculty of Science and Engineering (Institute of Technology) (1)
- Faculty of Educational Sciences (1)
- Department of Behavioural Sciences and Learning (6)
- Department of Computer and Information Science (7)
Department of Management and Engineering (21)
- Commercial and Business Law
- Carl Malmsten Furniture Studies
- Energy Systems
- Business Administration
- Fluid and Mechatronic Systems
- The Institute for Analytical Sociology
- Industrial Economics
- Information Systems
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Engineering Materials
- Logistics and Quality Management
- Machine Design
- Environmental Technology and Management
- Applied Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
- Production Economics
- Project, Innovations and Entrepreneurship
- Division of Solid Mechanics
- Language for specific purpose
- Political Science
- Administrative and academic support
Department of Physics, Chemistry and Biology (24)
- Biomolecular and Organic Electronics
- Biosensors and Bioelectronics
- Complex Materials and Devices
- Undergraduate Division
- Semiconductor Materials
- Chemical and optical sensor systems
- Molecular Physics
- Molecular Surface Physics and Nanoscience
- Nanoscale Engineering
- Nanostructured Materials
- Plasma and Coatings Physics
- Sensor and Actuator Systems
- Theoretical Biology
- Theoretical Physics
- Theoretical Chemistry
- Applied Sensor Science
- Thin Film Physics
- Professional Support Division
- Surface Physics and Chemistry
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine (10)
- Division of Children's and Women's health
- Division of Cell Biology
- Center for Social and Affective Neuroscience
- Division of Surgery, Orthopedics and Oncology
- Division of Speech language pathology, Audiology and Oto rhino laryngology
- Division of Microbiology and Molecular Medicine
- Divison of Neurobiology
- Division of Neuro and Inflammation Sciences
- Division of Administrative Support
- Department of Culture and Communication (3)
- Department of Medical and Health Sciences (8)
- Department of Biomedical Engineering (2)
- Department for Studies of Social Change and Culture (5)
- Department of Social and Welfare Studies (7)
- Department of Electrical Engineering (9)
- Department of Science and Technology (4)
- Department of Mathematics (5)
- Department of Thematic Studies (5)
- University Library (7)
- University Services (10)
- LiU Holding
- Medical Image Science and Visualization
- National Supercomputer Centre