Are you required to pay fees to study at Linköping University?
- If you are a citizen from a country outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, then you must pay an application fee to University Admissions and tuition fees to Linköping University (LiU).
- You do not need to pay application and tuition fees if you are a citizen of Sweden or any country within the EU/EEA or Switzerland, or if you have certain types of residency in Sweden. Find out more at universityadmissions.se. You do need to provide proof that you are exempt.
- All exchange agreements to LiU are free of charge and there are normally no fees for PhD students.
Please note that fees do not cover the price of accommodation, course literature or the general cost of living.
All non-fee- paying applicants need to provide documentation of their citizenship status before they can be assessed non-fee-paying.
If you are still unsure whether you must pay fees you can read all the details on Universityadmissions.se (the official website for applying to higher education in Sweden managed by the Swedish Council for Higher Education).
How much are the fees?
Application feeAn application fee of SEK 900 (Swedish kronor) must be paid to Universityadmissions.se when applying for a programme or course to cover the processing of your application. You must pay the application fee before the deadline, for your application to be processed and considered.
The tuition fee is paid in semester instalments. Newly admitted students are encouraged to pay their tuition fees to Linköping University as soon as possible after receiving an offer at LiU. The payment deadline varies depending on when you received your admission offer. If you received your admission offer in April the deadline is 1 June and if you received your admission offer in July or later you must pay within 10 days of receiving the offer. Generally, tuition fees are between SEK 80,000 and SEK 136,000 per academic year at LiU. Find specific tuition fees on the programme page or on universityadmissions.se. What do I receive for paying tuition fees?
What do I receive for paying tuition fees?Tuition fees at Linköping University cover the following benefits:
- The Swedish state’s insurance FAS+, including accident and property cover
- An accommodation offer for a student room
- Study-related services such as study administration, study counselling, student health care, library access, computer labs, etc.
Course literature, housing costs, living expenses, etc. are not included in the tuition fee. You will need approximately SEK 8,500 a month for such expenses. Check out "Related information" below to read more about living expenses estimated at LiU.
Period of study
The tuition fee is based on the number of credits for the course or programme, not the number of semesters. Therefore, students who complete their studies in less than the normal number of semesters must still pay tuition fees for the full number of semesters.
For students on a master's programme, the fee normally covers a workload of 30 credits per semester as long as the courses are included in the programme. An additional fee will be charged for any additional courses taken.