If you have been assessed as a fee-paying student but you do not agree with this assessment please follow the steps below to change your tuition fee status.

The tuition fee status of a new student is determined during the application process based on the submitted documents. 

If you have been assessed to be a “fee-payer”, but believe you are eligible for a change of status to “non-fee-payer”, please proceed as follows:

  1. Send an email to admissions@liu.se stating the reason(s) for the change in fee status.
  2. Always attach pages of your passport that show identity and the validity period of the passport or your valid identity card. Please scan the original document(s) and attach to your email.
  3. Attach documents that demonstrate the grounds on which you qualify for non-fee-payer status. Please scan the original document(s) and attach to your email.
    Possible evidence includes:
  • Valid passport
  • Valid identity card which clearly states citizenship and the card’s expiration date. (Driver’s licenses are not accepted.)
  • Official document. Citizens of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland who do not have a valid passport or identity card which contains information about both citizenship and expiration date can instead submit an official document which certifies their citizenship. This document must be certified and stamped. Please note that this document must be officially translated to English or Swedish if it has been issued in a different language.
  • Decision (all pages) regarding your residence permit for other reasons than studies from the Swedish Migration Agency.
  • Application receipt (mottagningskvitto) regarding your application for extension of your latest residence permit that was granted for other reasons than studies. The application receipt date must be before the expiration date of your latest residence permit. Your latest residence permit (all pages) must also be submitted. 

The university will decide about a change to your tuition fee status. If you are unable to provide sufficient evidence, the fee-payer status will remain unchanged.

If you would also like to apply for a refund of paid tuition fees, please submit a refund application:


Application and tuition fees