Refunds of tuition fees

Linköping University (LiU) may refund tuition fees if the student is unable to take part in studies at LiU because of special circumstances.

How to apply for a refund

In order to be considered for a refund due to special circumstances, please submit a “Request for Refund” form with any supporting documentation to LiU’s Admissions Office via email to

The refund decision will be made within 30 days of the form being submitted. Please note that any supporting documents must be submitted during this 30-day period. 

Who can get a refund?

Special circumstances could include:

  • a student is obliged to reside elsewhere, or has not been granted a residence permit/visa for studies in Sweden, or has not been granted an exit permit from home country.
  • a student develops serious illness, or serious illness or death of a close relative occurs. A close relative to the applicant could be a child, a partner, a parent, a sibling, a grandparent or, after individual consideration, another close relative.

If you have been granted a deferral of studies you will receive a refund of tuition fees.

If you have been granted a leave of absence with a guaranteed place offer at return you might receive a refund of tuition fee.

Change of Tuition Fee Status

The tuition fee status of a new student is determined during the application process based on the submitted documents. Your status depends on how your documents correlate to Monday of the roll-call week of your programme/course. 

If you have been assessed to be a “fee-payer”, but believe you are eligible for a change of status to “non-fee-payer”, please proceed as follows:

  1. Send an email to stating the reason(s) for the change in fee status.
  2. Always attach pages of your passport that show identity and the validity period of the passport or your valid identity card. Please scan the original document(s) and attach to your email.
  3. Attach documents that demonstrate the grounds on which you qualify for non-fee-payer status. Please scan the original document(s) and attach to your email.
    Possible evidence include:
  • Valid passport
  • Valid identity card which clearly states citizenship and the card’s expiration date. (Driver’s licenses are not accepted.)
  • Official document. Citizens of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland who do not have a valid passport or identity card which contains information about both citizenship and expiration date can instead submit an official document which certifies their citizenship. This document must be certified and stamped. Please note that this document must be officially translated to English, French, German or one of the Nordic languages if it has been issued in a different language.
  • Decision (all pages) regarding your residence permit for other reasons than studies from the Swedish Migration Agency.
  • Application receipt (mottagningskvitto) regarding your application for extension of your latest residence permit that was granted for other reasons than studies. The application receipt date must be before the expiration date of your latest residence permit. Your latest residence permit (all pages) must also be submitted.

The university will decide about a change of tuition fee status and whether any refunds are to be paid. If the student is unable to provide sufficient evidence, the fee-payer status remains unchanged.

Refund Request Form
Show/Hide content

Application and tuition fees
Show/Hide content