We answer our most frequently asked questions below.

Is it difficult to apply for an international programme at LiU?  What kind of documents are required, and do I need to get them certified or translated? Who has to pay tuition fees?  Can I get a scholarship?


We get that so many questions are bound to arise but don’t worry we’ve got you covered! Together with our students and our admissions unit we have put together an FAQ with answers. Should this not be enough, an answer is not far away. Fill in our contact form and you will hear from us soon.   

Applying and documenting your eligibility 

I would like to study a programme at LiU, am I eligible? 

You have to meet the general requirements for master’s or bachelor’s level, the English language requirements and the programme specific requirements.

See https://www.universityadmissions.se/en/entry-requirements/masters-requirements/

May I send supporting documents directly to LiU? 

All your supporting documents must be uploaded to your University Admissions account.

What documents do I need to apply?

You need to submit:

  • Diplomas, transcripts and in some cases translations
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • A copy of your passport

In some cases, you need additional documents to prove that you fulfill the specific entry requirements for the programme you are applying to.  


How do I show my English proficiency?

The most common way of proving English proficiency is by means of an internationally recognised test: 


Upper secondary and university studies in some countries can also meet the requirement. Always check the country instructions to find out exactly what the requirement is.



My university transcripts do not show ECTS, can I do the conversion myself?

60 ECTS credits are the equivalent of one year of full-time academic studies. By checking your transcripts and comparing your own credits with one year of full-time study from your university, you can get a rough idea of the equivalent in ECTS. Once you have a complete application, our admissions officers have their own tools to convert grades from different countries. 

Do I need to submit CV, recommendation letters and letter of intent? 

LiU do not require those documents with one exception, the master’s programme in Design, as stated on their programme webpage.

Will I get any feedback after submitting additional documents?

In general, no news about your application is good news. You will probably only get feedback if your application has been assessed as incomplete. The earlier you apply the more chance that you will get feedback in time for you to submit additional documents before the deadline.

Can I submit my documentation after the 1 February deadline?

We encourage all applicants to submit all their supporting documents as soon as possible, but no later than 1 February. Some of our programmes, but not all, close for late applicants after the mid-January deadline.
Applicants that upload their documents after 1 February will be considered late applicants. Late applicants will only be assessed if the programme is still open and if there are available places. Late applicants are not eligible for the LiU International Scholarships.

Do I need to upload secondary school’s diplomas and transcripts to apply for a master's? 

I am studying the last year of my bachelor’s, can I still apply for a master’s? 

Students in the final year of their bachelors are welcome to apply, but are required to submit additional documentation, see 


Do I have to submit syllabuses of my bachelor’s courses?

You must prove that you meet the programme specific requirements. If the required subject (linear algebra, calculus, probability theory, etc) is not clearly stated on your transcript, you must submit a syllabus.

I am a Swedish/EU citizen, when should I apply?

All students are welcome to apply in the main admission round (mid-January deadline). Some programmes, but not all, will have a second application round open for Swedish and EU citizens. Please note that the application portal might only be available in Swedish. 

Do I need a visa or permit to move to Sweden?

That depends on where you are from, your right of residency and how long you intend to study.

Read more: Residence Permits and Visas

Fees and funding

How much does tuition cost?

Between SEK 80,000 to 136,000 per academic year.

Fees include:

  •  Swedish state's insurance plan FAS+ including accident and property cover for renting
  • Study-related services such as study administration, study counselling, student health care, library access, computer labs, etc.

    Citizens from Sweden, the EU/EEA and Switzerland are not required to pay tuition fees for higher education in Sweden.

    Read more: How much does it cost to study at LiU?

Am I required to pay tuition or application fee?

In general, students from countries outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees in Sweden. 


How do I pay the application fee?

Instructions on how to pay the application fee are available at 


Does LiU offer any funding options?

Fee paying students who apply before the mid-January deadline to a master’s programme at LiU as their first priority are eligible to a limited number of partial scholarships. The LiU International Scholarship normally covers 50% of the tuition fee. 

Does LiU offer scholarships?

Every year Linköping University offers scholarships to new students with excellent academic results, usually amounting to a tuition fee waiver of 25-75%.

The Swedish Institute offers scholarships that amount to 100% tuition waiver and living costs. There are also other options.

Read more: Scholarships

Does LiU offer full scholarships for international students?

Unfortunately, we don’t.