Dr. G. K. Gueorguiev completed his PhD degree in Theoretical Physics on the structural and electronic properties of carbon- and silicon-based clusters at University of Coimbra, Portugal (2003) with the exceptional mark “Cum Laude” and following a fellowship from the prestigious Portuguese Instituto Camões.
Since 2004 he is with the Linköping University (LiU), Department of Physics, Chemistry and Biology (IFM). At LiU he started a new line of research on theoretical design of nanostructured carbon-based thin films with pre-defined properties and with immediate experimental verification (project and research leader: VR, SSF).
His research interests expand towards 2D and van der Waals structures, layered compounds and coatings with applications in aviation. Theoretical approaches include first-principles and effective methods in computational materials science, synthesis techniques involve magnetron sputtering, MOCVD, atomic-layer deposition.
Together with his PhD degree in Theoretical Physics from University of Coimbra, Portugal, Dr. G. K. Gueorguiev holds a MSc degree in Portuguese language and literature from Department for Ibero-Roman Languages, Faculty for Classical and New Languages, Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski, Bulgaria (1997).
LiU- UFBA Research and Education Network
Dr. G. K. Gueorguiev is the initiator and the leader of a research network in materials science between Linköping University (LiU), Sweden and the Federal University of Bahia (UFBA), Brazil (STINT, VR-SRL, CAPES, CNPq projects) operating for more than 10 years and generating results with recognized impact in research and education.
The achievements of the LiU – UFBA network have been recognized with the signing of an agreement on academic, cultural, and scientific cooperation between LiU and UFBA in March 2016, and highlighted at:
- Brazil-Sweden Excellence Seminar, May 2016, Brasília DF, Brazil
- Sweden Brazil Innovation Weeks, November 2018, São Paulo, Brazil
The LiU-UFBA network is expanding by involving research leaders from other Brazilian universities, such as:
- University of São Paulo
- Mackenzie Presbyterian University
- Federal University of São Carlos, São Paulo state
- Federal University of Santa Maria, the state of Rio Grande do Sul
- Federal University of Paraná
- Federal University of ABC, São Paulo state
- Workshop, April 2017 “2D and layered materials: from honeycomb sheets to nanocomposites”, Salvador, Brazil
- Meeting, October 2019 "Nanoscale phenomena in ultrathin films", São Paulo, Brazil