Future inventions to manipulate lysosomal function might be of great benefit for diseases such as cancer and neurodegenerative disorders.
The aim of our research is to elucidate how lysosomal functions are regulated in normal cells and how they are affected in different pathological processes.
In particular, the aim of our ongoing projects is to:
- Investigate the lysosomal stability and how its contents are released.
- Elucidate the role of lysosomes in pathological processes such as cancer and compare with corresponding normal cells.
- Clarify the impact of release of lysosomal constituents from cancer cells on cell function, intercellular communication and invasion through extracellular matrix degradation.
- Obtain a deeper understanding of the UV-induced effects on the lysosome in initiation and progression of melanoma.
- Develop a drug delivery system to target the lysosomes.