The departments of mathematics at Linköping University (LiU), the University of Rwanda (UR) and Stockholm University (SU) are partners in the sub-programme Strengthening Research Capacity in Mathematics, Statistics and Their Applications. The sub-programme is part of the bilateral UR-Sweden Programme, a research training partnership programme funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
Collaboration between UR and LiU started in 2007 and in 2012, SU joined the partnership. The sub-programme is coordinated by the Department of Mathematics at LiU and the Department of Mathematics at UR.
Building research capacity at the University of Rwanda
The main goal of the sub-programme is to train Master's and PhD students in mathematics and statistics and support UR to develop its own programmes in mathematics and statistics. Another goal is to contribute to a conducive environment for research in mathematics and statistics at UR.
The project also aims at arranging various outreach activities, to promote research uptake and interdisciplinary research, and to establish sustainable collaboration with mathematics departments in the region.
University of Rwanda Photo credit Theresa Lagali Hensen
Through this collaboration, the capacity for teaching and research has been strengthened and the quality and quantity of research outputs have increased. Examples of achievements are:
- Six staff members from UR have been trained in Sweden and obtained their PhD degree. Another five staff members are currently enrolled for doctoral training.
- A Master’s programme in Applied Mathematics was developed in 2007 and, so far, four cohorts have been trained in this programme.
- A Master’s programme in Mathematical Statistics and a PhD programme in Mathematics have been developed. The PhD programme was accredited in September 2018.
- Publications and conference presentations have increased.
- International conferences, schools and workshops have been arranged.
- Collaboration between universities in the Eastern African region has been strengthened.
- Outreach activities such as the international π-day and the first mathematics competition in Rwanda have been arranged.
Goal and objectives of the sub-programme
The sub-programme has the following long-term, all-embracing goal:
To strengthen research and postgraduate training in mathematics, statistics and their applications and to promote the use of mathematics and statistics at UR, in the public and private sectors in Rwanda and in the region.
The long-term goal is supplemented by the following specific objectives chosen in line with the UR specific objectives:
- To contribute to a sustainable postgraduate educational system in mathematics and statistics at UR.
- To contribute to a conducive environment for research and postgraduate training in mathematics and statistics at UR and to promote the international visibility of the Department of Mathematics at UR.
- To increase the use of mathematics and statistics in multidisciplinary research projects at UR and in the private and public sectors in Rwanda.
- To continue the development of regional collaboration in mathematics and statistics.