We research how to create long-term sustainability and efficiency in the built environment with a focus on logistics, digitalization, and resource-efficient construction. Our research is driven by needs, with the overarching goal of building more sustainably and efficiently, considering time, cost, and quality. We typically take a focal point in the construction process, but mainly concentrate on three partially distinct but interconnected parts within construction logistics: the supply chain to the construction site, on-site logistics, and their respective interfaces. Many of our research projects are centered around contractors and construction sites, but we also engage with property developers, clients, suppliers, transporters, third-party logisticians, IT and technology companies, consultants, etc.
The cornerstone of our research is the endowed professorship in construction logistics established in 2009 by the L E Lundberg Foundation for Research and Education, and we conduct research in areas such as:
- Digitalization and digital transformation in the construction industry.
- Planning of construction logistics and supply chains.
- Third-party logistics and logistics solutions in the construction industry.
- Production strategy, process choice, and logistics strategies in construction.
- Industrialization of the construction process and its impact on logistics.
Examples of research projects in construction logistics:
- Connected Construction Sites was a testbed project focused on the digitalization of construction, emphasizing planning, production, and supply processes at construction sites.
- Digital Transformation of Construction Sites is a strategic project within Smart Built Environment, building on the experiences and digital capabilities developed in the "Connected Construction Site" project.
- Logistics Strategy for Resource-Efficient and Sustainable House Construction" explores logistics strategies and plans in construction companies, conducted in two parts (part 1 and part 2)
- VALLA Coach was a project aimed at creating a mobile unit, a "Valla Hut," that measures, analyzes, and coaches companies and construction projects on efficient production methods directly on the construction site.