The unit’s goal is to improve the care of acutely ill patients, for example through the development of new methods for prioritization, risk stratification and advanced prognostic models.
Research and development at the emergency department of Linköping University Hospital spans a wide range of projects, from basic physiology, to national studies on patient flows and outcomes in emergency care. The emphasis is on projects related to the day-to-day work in the emergency department and many of our research questions are directly linked to challenges in everyday clinical practice.
Current research areas:
- AI-based forecasting models for risk stratification of acutely ill patients.
- Development of microcirculatory markers of severe and life-threatening acute disease.
- Development of point-of-care sampling methods for respiratory insufficiency.
- Forecasting of workload and resource utilization in ambulance and emergency care.
- Development of new tools for risk stratification of particularly vulnerable patient groups, such as elderly people living with frailty.